Saturday, September 19, 2009

Elyos vs. Asmodian

The first time I heard about Aion, I tucked into the official faction page. I saw the two races: the pretty good guys and the ugly bad guys. Formulaic, I thought at the time. I'm the kind of metal loving ex black-wearing anti-bogan that loves all things dark and broody so naturally I gravitated towards the Asmodian side. Mostly dark skin... okay, they can make pale skin too, that's absolutely fine by me. Hmm, it seems they're not ugly at all. Tails? Oh, manes, weird. Kind of cool, though. Wow, red glowing eyes! Black raven-esque wings, neat claws too! But they are clearly less pretty than the Elyos. It is obvious that Elyos will be the zerg faction, as Alliance was in WoW... and I love playing for the horde underdogs.


Asmodian it is.

Alas, fate had its wicked way with me. I found the perfect legion, which unfortunately was Elyos. So I made the sacrifice and here I am... a gothic metalhead in a sunblighted Elysian body.

Just kidding. I look about as metal as David Mitchell.

The transition wasn't soft. As I got more into the lore, it turns out the furbacks are pretty much as metal as they sound, while Elyos transformed from goody-two-shoes (a forgivable crime) into arrogant selfish short-sighted ignorant little shits. Joy. Still, they get the best endgame wings imo so it's not a total loss.

As awesome as black crow wings are, these do take the
caek... and quite royally at that.


Weeks passed and I got used to it, though I still retained my long-seated view that Elyos would be the more popular faction. It didn't help that there was no single poll on such matters; only dozens of individual faction polls from around the world. Our own oceanic poll had the Elyos ahead but almost everywhere else had the Asmodians in quite a kickarse lead. Still, I reasoned, that's just the beta community -- in general, we're more switched on and I guess that unique sort of sub-community gravitates towards the Asmodian culture. But come live, surely the masses will choose the pretty side. I just couldn't imagine Joe Sixpack ever even considering playing something with a mane.

Over time that view evolved to be what it is today: we're facing an Asmodian zerg. While I'm happy with that as an Elyos player, it has still genuinely surprised me. In every game I've played, the pretty/ostensibly good side has been the most populous by far. Even WoW's horde only became truly popular after the addition of Blood Elves to their side. What makes Aion different? Is it because the "uglier" side isn't all that ugly after all? Is it because the more visceral faction has the perfect blend of beauty and beast? Are Asmodians the marijuana of dark factions: the first step Joe Sixpack has been unwilling to take until Aion? Will he next be rolling Sith when TOR is released?

Or... is it just because Elyos really are pretty damn generic? Aion has thus far proven to be a rather unique world but in this world where even the critters stand out, Elyos are still pretty much just pretty rich kids from skin to bone. There's nothing particularly endearing or attractive about them and when you actually get down to it, they're actually a rather repulsive people. Things on their whoops-list include heresy, genocide and border-line retarded leaders.

Perhaps an oversimplification. Yes, those are my mad mspaint skillz

I don't know. The world is more foreign to me than it has ever been.

/cuts self with claws

5 comments:

  1. Why oh Why did they make it so HARD Zot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Elyos are still pretty much just pretty rich kids from skin to bone. There's nothing particularly endearing or attractive about them and when you actually get down to it, they're actually a rather repulsive people. Things on their whoops-list include heresy, genocide and border-line retarded leaders."

    THAT dear sir takes the crown! :) priceless summary xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to be Asmodian. I was Horde when I played WoW so I gravitated more towards Asmodian just based on looks. Then when I started reading the lore I -had- to be Asmodian cause I'm repulsed by Elyos. Unfortunately when it came time to vote amongst my friends which race we would be the Asmodian camp lost. So I'm Elyos. :(

    I was shocked really to see how large the Asmodian race is dominating in population. I hadn't really been keeping up on it. I just assumed that people would pick the "pretty and good" race like it was in WoW. Guess they proved me wrong.

    I still don't like Elyos but at least I get to be the underdog and that part appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asmodians aren't ugly, which is the reason. If there is a good pretty race and an evil pretty race, the evil one will always be more populous: see blood elves for a case in point. On top of that, the fact that the Asmodians got the short end of the Atreia-crackin' stick allows people to feel like they're rooting for the underdog... the badass underdog, who is totally gorgeous and will mount your head on a pike before you can say "peace treaty."

    It's... not really a mystery why Asmodians wound up more popular. Though, maybe players who prefer Asmos are blind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Column A, Column B. Asmodians are visceral but still pretty in that very "Hi, we're in an Asian MMO" kind of way, and a lot of people - kiddies especially - like their dark, oh-so-gawth pretties. It's a thing.

    On the other hand, I was drawn to the Elyos until I found out that, as you say, they're rather repulsive as a race and when they aren't repulsive they're painfully generic. I could forgive one in the absence of the other, but since I can't... well, Asmodian it is. I'm just having to drown out the aforementioned zerg, which unfortunately is somewhat difficult given that the game just launched. Ah well, all in good time.

    ReplyDelete